Big Wins This Month in City Council for the MASS Coalition! Next Steps 9/30
- Sept. 11, 2019
Thanks to your advocacy, the first three pieces of the Move All Seattle Sustainably (MASS) Transportation Package passed UNANIMOUSLY through City Council!We have the energy and momentum to pass the remainder of the package by the end of the year -- Save the Date for our next big push on Monday, September 30, 2:00pm for several important policy improvements for people walking and rolling. This second set of policies sailed through committee on September 20th, and will come to a full City Council vote on the 30th!
Champions:Huge thanks to Councilmembers Mike O'Brien, Abel Pacheco, and Teresa Mosqueda for sponsoring these three critical pieces of the MASS Transportation Package, and to the rest of the council for voting to pass them! Thank them at: [email protected] (email) or @SeattleCouncil (Twitter)
- A Bicycle Safety Ordinance making it harder for politicians to delay or delete bike projects.
- A resolution requesting full funding for Bicycle Implementation Plan projects, including the Beacon Ave Trail, Martin Luther King Jr. Way, the Georgetown-to-South Park Trail, the SODO-to-Georgetown connection, and two-way bike lanes on 4th Ave downtown.
- A resolution requesting that SDOT build off-sidewalk bike and scooter parking (in-street bike corrals) to ensure pedestrian access on sidewalks, especially for those of us with disabilities.
We're not done yet.We packed the council chambers and sent hundreds of emails, and together we showed the strength of community support behind sustainable transportation measures. Then, following the Climate Strike on September 20th, we filled council chambers again and spoke out passionately for safer sidewalks and pedestrian-first signal-timing. This second set of MASS Transportation Package policies were approved in committee. And now they move to a full council vote. We need you on Monday, September 30, at 2:00pm as these important pedestrian policy improvements move to a full council vote. It's people-power -- your voice, your presence, your mailed in comments, that can move these policies over the finish line. Email the Mayor and Councilmembers now to show your support.
The MASS Transportation Package - Safe & Equitable Transportation for AllThese are the first of twelve total pieces of the MASS Transportation Package -- which includes policy reforms and investments in sidewalks, bus lanes, and bike paths that will help you get where you need to go safely and efficiently. Find out more about the package in this interview. We need to connect Seattle’s diverse and vibrant neighborhoods, minimize reliance on private vehicles, create walkable and roll-able communities, and ensure safe and equitable access to transportation for all people, particularly for those who have been historically and are currently under-served. Please support the MASS Transportation Package.
- IN PERSON: Show up on Monday, September 30, at 2:00pm to voice your #iwalk story.
- ONLINE: Please take a moment to send the Mayor and Seattle City Council an email.